Signs and Symptoms of Stress
Center for Growth /Stress Therapy in Philadelphia
Stress is a condition that occurs in response to actual or anticipated difficulties in life.
The psychological signs and symptoms of stress:
* The tendency to worry too much
* Having a short fuse that leads to anger
* Experiencing mood swings and sudden bouts of sadness
* An ailing sense of humor
The physical signs and symptoms of stress:
* Frequent occurrences of heartburn, indigestion and an upset stomach
* Difficulty sleeping
* A throat as dry as the Sahara Desert
* The urge to overeat
* A loss of appetite
* Increased muscle tension
* Inability to concentrate
* Mental depression
Health Effects of Stress - If left untreated, stress can cause severe problems with your health:
* Heart Disease – Stress can play a role in circulatory diseases such as coronary heart disease, sudden cardiac death and strokes. Stress is now considered a major factor in heart disease, right up there with smoking, being overweight, and lack of exercise and activity.
* Gastrointestinal Problems – Stress always seems to find its way into your stomach, and affects the secretion of acid. This results in constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating and other problems.
* Immune System – There has been growing evidence that stress can affect a person’s immune system. It can render it useless in resisting bacteria and viruses, and research has shown that stress may play a role in a variety of immune system disorders, including HIV, AIDS, herpes, viral infection, rheumatoid arthritis, and certain allergies.
* Common Cold – Experience severe stress for more than a month can increase a person’s risk of coming down with a cold. Stress has a way of lowering your resistance to colds.
* Mental Health Problems – Stress can cause a person to become depressed, withdrawn, and sometimes experience crying spells. When someone feels as if the stress in their life is overwhelming them and consuming them on a daily basis, it can lead to a variety of mental health conditions.
Stress Management Techniques & Stress Therapy Can Help
If you believe that you may have signs and symptoms of stress, help is available. Call 267-324-9564 to speak with a counselor. Center for Growth /Stress Therapy in Philadelphia