Why Diets Are Bad For You
Eating Disorder Treatment in Philadelphia - why diets are bad for you
Why diets are bad for you: the word dieting implies that someone is going to deprive him or herself for a set amount of time until the desired amount of weight is lost. Diets are usually ineffective for many reasons.
Diets are bad for you for many reasons
* They increase preoccupation with food and the likelihood of Overeating or Binging
* They can slow down a person’s metabolism
* The body defends it’s set point making weight loss difficult
* They are usually too strict and unrealistic
* They imply a temporary change
* People feel badly when they can’t follow them and they become discouraged with themselves.
* They make certain foods even more appealing because people naturally want what is ‘forbidden’.
* Chronic dieting raises the set-point.
The Better Way: Changing a person’s overall relationship with food is a more effective technique to achieve sustained weight loss. Sustained weight loss requires a lifestyle change: eating healthier and exercising. Lifestyle changes are permanent as opposed to a diet, which is temporary and necessitates eating less than one would naturally want. Lifestyle changes such as consistent exercise and proper nutrition can actually re-set the set point. Lifestyle changes may mean following a macrobiotic way of being, paleo way of being, vegan lifestyle, mediteranian diet, etc. All of these different ways of eating encourage people to stay balanced, pay attention to self, focus on whole grain, vegetables and protein. All minimize processed foods, and junk food.