Benefits of Group Therapy for Eating Disorders
Support groups can deepen one’s understanding of an issue through the process of group interaction. In a support group participants will interact with peers who are struggling with similar concerns. These individuals are often able share tips for managing a problem or condition and to candidly discuss the associated challenges and pitfalls. In a peer group setting, a client not only is able to explore the underlying dynamics of a particular issue, but also to understand how he or she copes with that issue in relation to others.
What are the benefits of group therapy for eating disorders?
• Can help decrease isolation, loneliness, and shame.
• It helps people to realize other people have similar struggles.
• It is a place to gain support.
• It is a place to share thoughts and get feedback from others.
• It can help you to gain a fresh look at a longstanding problem.
• It can provide useful feedback that can help people examine and improve their ability to communicate.