What is binge eating disorder criteria for a DSM diagnosis?
- Symptoms much occur for a minimum of six months.
- The individual does not engage in compensatory behavior such as purging, fasting, excessive exercise, laxative abuse and diuretics.
- Dieting is not a criterion; however women with binge eating disorder do go through periods of dieting and weight loss.
- Recurrent episodes of binge eating. This indicates consuming what most people would consider an unusually large amount of food within a two hour time.
- Feeling out of control and unable to stop the episode of binge eating.
- Marked distress about the episode of binge eating.
Binge Eating Disorder Treatment in Philadelphia. Help is available. Call 267-324-9564.